Bunk Cushions

Picked up the bunk cushions last week, yellow to match the trim color on the boat, or more precisely, the trim color is mixed to match the cushions. 4″ thick so I may not want to get up in the morning. The light in the forward section is coming through a Bomar hatch I added to increase ventilation when sailing in the southern waters.

Bunk cushions

Bunk cushions


Trial Assembly

After turning the hull over and positioning it in the cradle I spent a couple hours shoving them around to get them aligned. Then I put all of the pieces together to see how it fit. I was happy, particularly with the alignment of the beams to the cabin ends as I under stand this is a problem.

One thing I was not happy with is the cabin front being lower than the main beam ends. If I’d known this at the beginning, I’d have raised the roof.

Finally back at it

After an autumn of inactivity I’m finally back at it and working on my final push to finish.

The one thing that frightened me when I started this was turning the hulls over. I saw a couple of posted videos and thought it can’t be that easy. But it is.

Support the hull on straps. I used a couple of tie down straps
With ratcheting locks which also lift the hull clear of the supports.

Hull supported on the straps

Hull turned over. I tried to make a movie of turning it but all I got was 4 minutes of the ceiling light.

Back to work

2 1/2 months off to take of other things. The night crew didn’t do a thing. Launch in March at the latest directly into the briney. No more thoughts of this wide spot in the river they call a lake. I


For a couple of days this week I was fortunate to have my son helping with the finishing on the port hull cabin and the starboard hull. It was a tremendous help to have another pair of eyes and hands working on the boat. We got patches of glass and epoxy on the cabin and another coat of epoxy on a sanded hull


My sails arrived today from Rolly Tasker.  From everything I could see on the living room floor they looked great.  The proof will come when I get finished with the boat to put under them and the mast to hang them from.

Beams, including the aux after beam are ready for final sanding and epoxy coating, tillers are ready for sanding and coating.  Varnish work already started on the tiller bar.

I think I’m into the final 15% that takes 32% of the time.

Beams, again and again

Made the beam caps for the main and aft beams a little wider to compensate for the thicker plywood I used in the webs. 5/8″ was not generally available, so instead of laminating my own, I used 3/4″. Has to be better than a home lamination of 1/4 ans 3/8.

Assembly started on aux aft beam that will hold netting, wind vane and solar panels.